Fantasy sports are an increasingly popular form of entertainment. While you can debate the relative merits of fantasy sports (pro: they increase interest in the sport; con: they encourage people to root for individual players instead of teams), they are here to stay. A recent development has made me question fantasy sports: you can now take out insurance on your fantasy sports team. That’s right. An apparently legitimate company, Fantasysportsinsurance.com, will now sell you a policy that will protect you from losses associated with your favorite fantasy player getting injured.
According to the web site
Fantasy Sports Insurance (FSI)…
• FSI is a new and innovative fantasy insurance product.
• FSI returns your financial investment in your fantasy league, should your key player(s) suffer a “season changing” Injury.
• Fantasy Sports Insurance policy is underwritten by an “A” rated insurance company.
• Re-coup all costs you have incurred in fielding your fantasy team and continue with your season!
• Lessen the disappointment and aggravation of losing your top fantasy player(s).
The company offers three levels of coverage for NFL fantasy leagues: A policy against one key player missing 9 regular season games, a policy against two key players missing a combined 14 regular season 16 games, and a policy against 3 key players missing a combined 18 regular season games. The web site has a long list of offensive players who can be covered. I didn’t get a price quote. They claim to be legit.